Fondly restored and thoughtfully re-designed by the team of Core Redevelopment, The Tower is now home to 40 units, all furnished with modern, high-end finishes. Much care went into keeping as many of the historic elements of the building as possible, as you will appreciate the moment you are welcomed into the historic Art Deco lobby. Even the 12th-floor balconies have been expertly restored!
Anderson experienced unheard of wealth economic boom in the 1920s, thanks largely in part to the local automotive manufacturing success. Local businessman, J. Everett Jones founded The Tower Hotel Corporation in 1930 to begin construction on the city’s tallest “skyscraper” to house Anderson’s most luxurious hotel. Designed by local architect, Erwin F. Miller, the Tower was a lavish example of that era’s most iconic Art Deco and Late Gothic Revival characteristics and has withstood the test of time.
The grand plans for this unheard of 12 story building that boasted a full bakery, barber shop, large lobby, coffee shop, banquet room, lavish guest quarters, and an attached auto hotel garage, sadly never came to fruition as the building’s exterior was finished in 1931 just as the Great Depression seized the nation. The funding for the hotel’s interior dried up, and it would be almost 20 years before another tenant occupied the Tower.
Soon after WWII, the Anderson Chamber of Commerce moved their offices into the first floor of the Tower and shortly after, remodeling of the upper floors began. In 1948, the Tower opened as its first apartment complex, housing 68 efficiency and one-bedroom units. By today’s standards, these apartments would have been “bare bones” and “utilitarian”, but at the time, they made the Tower the city’s most trendy address.
As one of Anderson’s best-known landmarks, the Tower is possibly best known for being the tallest building between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. Its first floor has been home to many different businesses in the past 70 years including jewelers, barbers, children’s clothing stores, a trophy shop, and various different offices. For many years the second floor was home to the Anderson Chamber of Commerce and from the 1940s-1950s it housed the WCBC Radio Station as well. After a fire in 1987 left the building vacant for almost 10 years, the Tower was re-envisioned into senior living apartments until operating costs forced their closure in 2011.
As one of the only remaining icons of the city’s historic hotel design, the Tower was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 and is part of the Anderson downtown Historic District. Its terra-cotta façade and grand Gothic stone arches stand proudly within walking distance of the historic and recently restored Paramount Theater, Anderson YMCA, and the revitalized downtown district full of local breweries, coffee shops, businesses, and cafes.
There may be floorplans for this property that are not listed below. Please contact us for a listing of all available floorplans.