Core has managed to find a new life for the old Bush Stadium, downtown Indianapolis lofts. By saving the original structure of the stadium, Stadium Lofts offers a one-of-a-kind experience for its residents. Located in the 16 Tech technology park, residents enjoy access to pedestrian paths and trails with convenient access to Downtown shopping and restaurants, along with the IUPUI Campus.
The stadium was completed in 1931 by Osborn engineering which also constructed Fenway Park and other ballparks of the early 20th century. The stadium is of architectural interest due to its art deco façade. The Perry family operated the Indianapolis Power and Light Company (IPL), which was adjacent to the stadium that predated Bush, Washington Park. IPL supplied the light towers at Washington Park, and they were moved to Bush Stadium in 1932. Jim Perry, Norman’s brother, owned the Indianapolis Indians, but suffered a fatal accident in 1929. Norman took over as the team owner, constructed the new ballpark, and named it “Perry Stadium” in honor of his brother. The “PS” in the bas-relief carvings symbolizes the stadium’s original name.
It served as a significant venue for both segregated and integrated baseball. Through the 1930s, different Negro League teams played at Perry Stadium, including the ABCs (1932, 1938, 1939), American Giants (1933), Athletics (1937), and Crawfords (1940). The Indianapolis Clowns played there from 1944 to 1962. The Indianapolis Indians integrated in 1952.
The Clowns, known for their comical antics, were a barnstorming team that traveled to play in small towns. The team became affiliated with Indianapolis in 1944. In 1952, with Hank Aaron on the team, the Clowns won the Negro American League championship. When Aaron joined the major leagues in 1953, the Clowns replaced him with Toni Stone, the first woman to play in the Negro Leagues. The team played into the early 1970s, more than 20 years after the end of Negro League baseball.
In the 1940s, the ballpark was renamed Victory Stadium to reflect American patriotism during the Second World War.
In 1967 the ballpark was sold to the city, and later that same year it was renamed for former major league baseball player and Indianapolis native Donie Bush, who had served as president of the Indians from 1955 to 1969.
The Indianapolis Capitols, a Continental Football League team, won the league championship in 1969.
During 1987 it was used as the stand-in for both Comiskey Park and Crosley Field during the filming of Eight Men Out, which focused on the “Black Sox Scandal”, the throwing of the 1919 World Series. It was abandoned by the ballclub when they moved to the new downtown ballpark Victory Field in mid-season 1996.
Indianapolis hosted the Pan Am Games in 1987 and the baseball events were held at Bush Stadium.
In 1997, the property was leased by Tony George (president of the nearby Indianapolis Motor Speedway), and converted into a dirt track for midget auto racing and renamed the facility 16th Street Speedway. After two years, the property closed and the stadium fell into disrepair, with no apparent future.
Between 2008 and 2011 the Stadium was used as a storage site for cars traded in as part of the Cash for Clunkers program.
In 2011 it was proposed the Stadium be turned into an apartment complex. The proposal became fact on March 15, 2012 as demolition began on portions of the 81 year old structure.
In August 2013, Stadium Lofts officially opened the doors to new residents and a new chapter in Indiana’s history books!
There may be floorplans for this property that are not listed below. Please contact us for a listing of all available floorplans.